Frequently Asked Questions

why do I need lessons? I can already drive.

While nobody is arguing that you may be able to drive, the S.A Government has a standard of driving which they require to be met before you can be issued with a licence. This standard is generally of a far higher standard than you will see on the roads each day, and requires you to know and demonstrate 100% compliance with Australian road law, and drive safely using defensive driving techniques, which are designed to allow new drivers to be aware of hazards and potential dangers and take action before they become involved in avoidable collisions. It’s an unfortunate fact that new drivers are much more likely to be involved in serious road crashes, due mainly to inexperience, and these standards are designed to help them avoid these situations.

Where to meet.

Pick up will be from your home work or school, as long as the location is agreed to at the time of booking, or through prior arrangement. However, long distances between start and finish locations are discouraged, as this will waste a lot of valuable lesson time in travel, and lessons often require a particular location to allow time to work on particular skills.

How to pay?

Cash on the day is preferred, however cheques can be accepted, or by direct deposit. Direct deposit payments must be made 2 full business days prior to the lesson start to allow for verification of payment.

Do I have to wait until my 75 hours are done before I can finish the course or do a V.O.R.T test?

No, it is possible to finish the CBT (final Drive) or do a V.O.R.T test at any time while on your learners permit. It is a good idea to start planning earlier rather than later as it is often frustrating for students who have left it too late before they start lessons, and are forced to wait longer than 12 months to get onto their P licence. If you ask the right questions early, it may help you avoid disappointment later. Learning to drive takes longer than most people think, and it’s best to allow yourself time to practice what you learn, rather than rush through at the end.

What will I need?

You will need your learners permit or the appropriate authority to drive, and any accompanying documents. You will need “The Driving Companion” booklet, if you are doing the CBT course, although it is recommended for V.O.R.T students too as it is useful for notes and logging hours. Footwear should be closed enclosed shoes; no thongs or open toe sandals. You may also wish to bring a drink and sunglasses, but remember that phones cannot be touched while driving. It is recommended to leave it out of the car if possible.

How many lessons will I need?

This is often asked, but it is not easy to answer. It depends on a lot of things and is very individual. How much practice you have had, your age, the type of roads you normally drive and even who is teaching you. Not to mention, some people are just more natural drivers. The best example might be walking up to a guitarist and asking how long it would take until you were able to play great guitar?

What else do I need to do before I can get my P licence?

You will need to meet the Government requirements of 60 day hours and 15 night driving hours (minimum) pass a “Hazard Perception Test”, have had your Learner’s Permit for at least 12 months and pass either the CBT&A course or a V.O.R.T test. This will require you meet the Government standard of driving.

Should I choose V.O.R.T of CBT&A?

This question is often asked, but there is no wrong answer, more of a preference really. Either way you will be expected to demonstrate that you can drive to the Government standard of driving. There are some differences between the two types to consider. If you are just starting out and have very little experience with driving, then I would recommend using the CBT&A Course, as it is a comprehensive learning approach that can be followed at your pace and suited to your level of skill. You will have to learn and demonstrate general driving skills and tasks such as 3 point turns and parking, but you won't be expected to demonstrate them in your final drive, as well as staying with the same instructor through to the end, where you will demonstrate driving to the government standard.

A V.O.R.T will require a test that has a slightly harder pass percentage and will require you to demonstrate 5 vehicle Manoeuvers, including 3 point turns, U turns and parking and follow 100% road law, and demonstrate driving to the Government standard, to an accredited driving assessor, (who cannot train you) and should you fail you will be required to wait 14 days before re-sitting another vort. However, with this method, you have no set course to follow and training can be suited to your skill and experience. This may suit drivers with good experience and confidence.

You don't have to choose right away, but some instructors are only licenced to train for V.O.R.T tests, and are not able to sign off the CBT&A course or issue you with a licence. If you are unsure which way you wish to go, ask your instructor if they can teach both, before beginning with them, so that you have a choice.